Sunday, June 6, 2010

My Grandma Helen

My Grandma Helen peacefully passed away yesterday at 7:30 in the morning surrounded by her children.

She was an great woman who raised six kids including my father.  She had 16 grand-kids and 14 great-grand-kids.  She loved everyone of them.


She loved to garden even up until the end.  She also loved birdwatching.  I always thought of her when I saw anything with a cardinal on it.

She was also quite crafty.  She made me a yellow and green afghan when I was younger.  More recently she made me a set of towels, I think she said it was her last set, I feel very lucky.

I also remember using the Micky Mouse spoon at her house which she later gave to me.  I also have some dishes she gave me that belong to I think her grandmother.  I keep them in the antique library hutch she gave me back when I collected dolls.
 
When I was younger I remember visiting her and my grandpa at their winter home in Texas.  We had some great times swimming in the pool and playing shuffle board.

I also remember watching my grandma and grandpa square dance together!  I really loved the fancy dresses with puffy skirts she wore that matched my grandpas outfits.

She and my grandpa picked my sister Danielle and I up and took us out for the 4th of July after my sister Laura was born.

I remember how much she giggled when I insisted we take our own self portrait.  I wish I knew where they all were now.

I was really sad I had to miss her big 90th birthday party this last year when I was pregnant and could not fly but I am so glad she had a chance to meet Allie and Andy.  Even though they will not remember her I plan to tell them all about her

She was a lovely woman and I will never forget her!  The kids and I will attend the service this week back in Iowa and I look forward to celebrating the life of a great woman with my family.

Love ya Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment